Every teacher has to find the strategies for classroom management that works best for them. However, most experts agree on the following:
- Teachers must be consistent in their message and consequences
- Lay a strong foundation of your behavior expectations early in the school year
- Follow through with promised discipline when students don't follow the rules
- Remain dispassionate and unflappable
- Every day is a new day - give students a chance to start over
Featured Web Sites
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support
A website established by the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP), U.S. Department of Education that offers extensive resources on established school-wide systems of positive behavior supports. Included throughout the website are suggestions on promoting positive student behaviors in the classroom.
This website describes individual behaviors; identifies the effect of the behavior on others; discusses what individual student needs are indicated by the behavior; and offers suggestions for action to deal with the behavior.
A variety of basic suggestions from teachers for effective classroom management